Wednesday 16 September 2009

Not the brightest bulb

I moved desks on Monday (because I preferred to do it on Monday morning rather than on Friday night at 18:30 when everyone else started moving), and as it got darker, I realised that the light bulb above my new desk didn't work.  I am one of those people who prefers to work in well-lit areas (not fluorescent lighting, but just bright enough to see everything I'm doing and not fall asleep), but for some reason people here don't bother turning the lights on until it's actually dark.

I would normally fix these sorts of things myself, but the light fixtures are quite high, and we seem to have someone to take care of these things.  So, I sent a quick email to the receptionist (as she'd already gone home for the day) to see if she could get the bulb changed.  I got this in reply:

Dear Starla,

I'm sorry, there's no extra light bulbs now, we will handle it as soon as possible.


This made very little sense to me, especially because our office takes up the whole floor of the building and we are using about half of the desks.  The lights above those desks don't get used, so... switch out the bulbs, please? 

After some further follow-up including a suggestion about unused-but-functional light bulbs, the receptionist had a guy from the tech department get up on my desk to fix the situation.

Unnecessary, but very China.

Posted via email from Banana Undercover

No comments:

Post a Comment