Thursday 9 July 2009

Heat and hassle

The temperature is sitting around 36 or 37 degrees right now, and it's the least of my problems.

My company had widespread layoffs last week, due to supposed financial reasons. Though I am still comfortably employed, it has made me wonder about what I'm going to do in the future, and whether or not I will be staying in China much longer. We shall see. I don't think this adventure is over yet.

Last but definitely not least is that China blocked Facebook sometime on Tuesday. I know, I know, I shouldn't be so worried about these things, but considering that I've actually begun to get used to the fact that the list of websites I can't access is getting longer and longer*, I think it's telling that I am concerned about this. Of course, there's always the increased productivity flipside, but I did spend a good portion of my day yesterday ensuring (through a combination of proxy servers, ping.fm, and one of my mobile phone browsers) that I would in fact still be able to update my profile. I just won't be able to stalk other people nearly as easily.

*I can't even access this blog easily (I am currently changing settings via a proxy), and have to post my entries by email. I am not sure if the comment moderation settings have stuck, so my apologies if comments haven't been published. Feel free to repost them!

2 comments:

  1. That Ping.fm is great, thanks for the referral. I can now post to Twitter again. Can't do Facebook yet as it says I need to add the application in Facebook first and for that I guess I need to get in to Facebook. Arrrrggghhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I can post from my phone. Weird, but excellent.

    ReplyDelete