Thursday 6 August 2009

Every fruit has its day. Except for papaya, which is greedy.

For reasons that are somewhat complicated, I just found out that Monday was National Watermelon Day (and by 'National', I mean 'American', but don't get me started on how annoying it is to find references to 'national' things on the internet with no mention of what nation they are relevant to).  I think that at some point I should get a job with an organisation with a name and function as randomly specific and entertaining as the National Watermelon Promotion Board.  They are still selling boatloads of watermelon in China right now, and I'm sure there are lots of local festivals for them, including this one in Beijing (sorry, the article is from 2008, but we'll have to wait until May/June 2010 for the next one anyway).

Some other odd fruit-related celebrations in the U.S. include, apparently, Eat a Red Apple Day (December 1st) [specific], Poisoned Blackberries Day (September 29th) [I don't know what you would do to celebrate this], and the International Banana Festival (September 21st).  Grapefruits and peaches each get their own month (February and August, respectively), and according to this list, papaya gets two months (June and September).  I don't even like papaya.

That weirdness led me to wondering if there was a National Mango Day celebrated anywhere, as it is the king of fruits and all.  There is, by the way.  In Mali.  BBC photos and interesting back story here

Not to be outdone, though, Rubicon announced a whole Mango Week in the UK (25th-31st May this year, so we'll have to wait until next year now).  I'm not sure that something being promoted by a private company with vested interest is as valid as an acknowledged national day, but I don't think anyone can complain about a week of mango.  Except this one guy I met who came from a place where they grow turpentine mangos.  Apparently when ripe, these things smell (and taste) like a combination of, well, turpentine and mangos.  He wasn't a fan.

As for me, I'm going to buy a mango on the way home.  It will cost slightly more than 2.5 US cents (apparently a good price in Mali), but I think I'll deal with it.


Image: Elite Banana on my pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment